20 Twitter Statistics & Facts to Know in 2022
Are you struggling with your Twitter marketing strategy and you don’t know how? Or are you a newbie that wants to get off to a good start?
Wherever you are in your path, Twitter statistics listed in this post can help you understand Twitter.
- 1. How Many Active Users Are There On Twitter?
- 2. What Do People Use Twitter?
- 3. Which Country has Most Twitter Users?
- 4. How Many Twitter Users in The US?
- 5. 1/4 Americans Who Know About Twitter Actually Use Twitter
- 6. How Old Are Twitter Users?
- 7. Are Majority of Twitter Users Male or Female?
- 8. How Many Tweets Are Sent Every Day?
- 9. How Many Characters in A Tweet?
- 10. What’s the Ideal Length of a Tweet?
- 11. Who Has the Most Followers On Twitter
- 12. There Were 2 Billion Tweets About Gaming in 2020
- 13. What Are the Most Popular Hashtags On Twitter?
- 14. What’s The Most Frequently Used Hashtag in 2020 On Twitter
- 15. How Many Hashtags Get the Most Engagement On Twitter?
- 16. What’s the Most Retweeted Tweets?
- 17. Most Popular Emojis On Twitter
- 18. 339.6 Million People Can Be Reached with Ads On Twitter
- 19. 54% Of B2B Businesses Use Twitter for Digital Marketing Purposes
- 20. 5 Countries Banned Twitter
- Conclusion: What Can We Learn from All of These Twitter Statistics?
1. How Many Active Users Are There On Twitter?
There are currently 206 million monetizable daily active users (mDAU) on Twitter for Q2, 2021, compared to 186 million in the same period of the previous year and compared to 199 million in the previous quarter.
2. What Do People Use Twitter?
The most common activities on Twitter include reading the news (56%), viewing photos (42%), and watching videos (32%). These are followed by sharing content publicly (32%) and privately (20%), networking (26%), shopping (7%), and promoting their business (7%). (eMarketer, 2021)
3. Which Country has Most Twitter Users?
Twitter is particularly popular in the United States, where as of July 2021, the microblogging service had audience reach of 73 million users. Japan and the India were ranked second and third with 55.55 and 22.10 million users respectively.
4. How Many Twitter Users in The US?
Average US mDAU were 37 million for Q2, 2021, compared to 36 million in the same period of the previous year and 38 million in the previous quarter.
Average international mDAU were 169 million for Q2, 2021, compared to 150 million in the same period of the previous year and 162 million in the previous quarter.
5. 1/4 Americans Who Know About Twitter Actually Use Twitter
Even though Twitter is known by 88% of Americans, just 23% of Americans ages 12 and older use Twitter. Thus, about one in four Americans who know about Twitter actually use Twitter.
6. How Old Are Twitter Users?
As of April 2021, Twitter global audience was composed of 38.5 percent of users aged between 25 and 34 years old. The second-largest age group demographic on the platform was represented by users aged between 35 and 49 years old, with a share of almost 21 percent. Users aged less than 24 years old were almost the 24 percent worldwide, while users aged 50 or above accounted for roughly 17 percent.
7. Are Majority of Twitter Users Male or Female?
31.9 percent of Twitter audiences are female and 68.1 percent are male.
8. How Many Tweets Are Sent Every Day?
According to Internet Live Stats, every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter. Twitter users send out approximately 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.
9. How Many Characters in A Tweet?
In November 2017 Twitter doubled the available character space from 140 to 280 characters.
Twitter also puts a cap on how long your DMs, profile name, bio and handle can be:
- DMs – 10,000 characters
- Twitter handle – 15 characters
- Profile name – 50 characters
- Bio – 160 characters
10. What’s the Ideal Length of a Tweet?
Unlike with other social platforms, longer posts tend to perform better on Twitter, according to reports from Sotrender and the Chicago Tribune. The sweet spot is between 240 and 259 characters, which tend to get the most likes, replies, Retweets, impressions and link clicks on average.
11. Who Has the Most Followers On Twitter
Former U.S. President Barack Obama has the most popular Twitter account with 130 million followers as of August 2021.
- Barack Obama (129.9m followers)
- Justin Bieber (113.9m followers)
- Katy Perry (108.8m followers)
- Rihanna (102.7m followers)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (93.2m followers)
- Taylor Swift (88.6m followers)
- Ariana Grande (83.7m followers)
- Lady Gaga (83.6m followers)
- Ellen DeGeneres (78m followers)
- YouTube (73m followers)
- Narendra Modi (70.1m followers)
- Kim Kardashian West (70m followers)
- Selena Gomez (64.9m followers)
- Justin Timberlake (63.4m followers)
- CNN Breaking News (61.1m followers)
- Twitter (59.4m followers)
- Elon Musk (58.8m followers)
- Britney Spears (55.5m followers)
- Bill Gates (55.2m followers)
- Demi Lovato (54.7m followers)
12. There Were 2 Billion Tweets About Gaming in 2020
In 2020, there were more than 2 BILLION Tweets about gaming. This is up 75% from 2019, with a 49% increase in unique authors.
Within the category, the most followed gaming topics in 2020 were:
- Gaming News
- Gaming Influencers
- Call of Duty
- Animal Crossing
Countries Tweeting the Most about Gaming:
- United States
- United Kingdom
#love #followback #Twitterers #tweegram #photooftheday #20likes #amazing #smile #follow4follow #like4like #look #instalike #igers #picoftheday #food #instadaily #instafollow #followme #girl #instagood #bestoftheday #instacool co #follow #colorful #style #swag
14. What’s The Most Frequently Used Hashtag in 2020 On Twitter
The most frequently used hashtag in 2020 on Twitter is #COVID19, followed by #BlackLivesMatter. The world continues to utilize Twitter to publicly advocate for political change.
Tweets with only one hashtag are 69% more likely to get retweets than those with two hashtags.
Also, if your tweet has a hashtag with 11 or more characters it’s 117% more likely to get retweeted than hashtags with 6-10 characters.
16. What’s the Most Retweeted Tweets?
The top tweet has over 4.1 million retweets and was tweeted by Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa in August 2021.
17. Most Popular Emojis On Twitter
The most tweeted emoji of 2020 on Twitter was ? (laughing/ face with tears of joy emoji), closely followed by ? (crying emoji).
18. 339.6 Million People Can Be Reached with Ads On Twitter
In 2020, WeAreSocial and Hootsuite teamed up to do a study into the advertising reach of social media. When studying Twitter stats, they found that advertisements on Twitter can reach 339.6 million people.
19. 54% Of B2B Businesses Use Twitter for Digital Marketing Purposes
Although social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram are extremely popular places to run B2B ad campaigns, many B2B businesses also realize the value of running campaigns on Twitter too.
Twitter is a popular platform for businesses making it a hotspot for marketing to other businesses. 54% of B2B businesses are already getting a slice of the Twitter action, perhaps it could be right for your business too!
20. 5 Countries Banned Twitter
List of countries where twitter is banned:
- North Korea
Conclusion: What Can We Learn from All of These Twitter Statistics?
And that’s a wrap — 20 interesting and useful Twitter statistics that help us to better understand just how Twitter works and how you can plan your twitter marketing strategy.
Before doubling down on your Twitter marketing strategy, you need to make sure of two things: a) that enough of your target audience is on Twitter and b) you know who they are. Talking to the right people at the right time is essential for effective marketing.